Monday, February 6, 2012

Like my brother-in-law David, I blame it on the moon

Sometimes we need no prompting to dwell on a subject.
Other times one word, a glance or a breeze can
bring on the flood.

I am consumed with parenting at this. moment.... or rather
what I am as a parent. 

What I am modeling, teaching and demanding as a parent.

Looking up some inspired quotes today, these spoke to me deepest, funniest, or
truest:


The trouble with learning to parent on the job is that your child is the teacher.  
~Robert Brault

If you have never been hated by your child you have never been a parent.  
~Bette Davis

Don't worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you.  ~Robert Fulghum 

The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.  ~Lane Olinghouse

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children. 
 One is roots. 
 The other is wings. 
 ~Hodding Carter, Jr.

The thing that impresses me most about America is the way parents obey their children.  ~Edward, Duke of Windsor, Look, 5 March 1957

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.  
~Robert Brault


As I go about this day tasking  it away ,
It occurs to me that this life I have chosen,
 (some of us do choose our lives, some do not)
so complicated
and wordlessly beautiful,
has beings, two of them, growing up before my very eyes,
and counting on me to be what they need, 
which changes
virtually everyday.

Right Now I am working on being a role model,
 one that they can respect, admire 
and sometimes get pissed off at.

And I am going to the studio this afternoon
whether they like it or not.













1 comment:

  1. "...whether they like it or not...." Excellent! Because sometimes what they want is not what they need to see. Sometimes we have to go against them in order to be ourselves, which in turn is the best we could offer them after all. It's hard (for me) to remember that I don't always need to *guide* them, to instruct and correct, but often the best I can do as a parent is simply to be my best self. The rest will follow. Onward, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Your words inspire me to do and be more. So do your thoughts but I just can't read them yet! ;)