Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Books and Allergies and Earth Day and Dad

I want to start with some books that I am reading right now.
For those interested in Early Childhood and amazing activities to create with your children check out these books:




These books are obviously from the early 70's and they are full of such cool and easy activities that children LOVE to do.
I ordered my copies from ABE books.
I used these when I was a preschool teacher and now ordered them for home. I can't wait to get started!

Other books I am reading and loving:

This is a book written in the voice 
of a young boy with autism.
 Amazing and haunting.



Just started and love.
 Funny, honest and intriguing.



Okay, I had to share this. Funny and scary and well, really weird.
I decided my kids are old enough to read Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes. 
That in itself is a funny statement but we all remember the rhymes and the oddities.

Here are some of our favorites we read tonight. They are real. I mean it.

Cry, baby, cry 
Put your finger in your eye
 and tell mother it wasn't I.



There was a man in our town,
And he was wondrous wise,
He jumped into a bramble bush,
And scratched out both his eyes;
But when he saw his eyes were out,
With all his might and main,
He jumped into another bush,
And scratched 'em in again.



(my favorite if you could call it that)

There was a little man, and he had
a little gun,
And his bullets were make of
lead, lead, lead;
He went to the brook, and saw a little duck,
And shot it right through the 
head, head, head.

(okay now darling, have sweet dreams and go to sleep)

Seriously, what were adults thinking reading these to kids.
I mean rhyming is cool but you can make them sweet can't you?
I had to share these.
We made up some modern day nursery rhymes. The theme generally
revolved around farts or poop. ;o)



Allergies:



Rohan is suffering. I am too. Not like Rohan, but spring has sprung and we are trying to make the most of it.

Rohan has missed three days of school in his suffering. 
We have decided to begin Immunotherapy. 
He will have one or two shots a week for the next
5 to 6 years. Yes, years.
They will inject the exact things he is allergic to and eventually, and hopefully,
he will become immune to them.
It will be long but worth it.

No one likes their children to feel miserable.
I am so thankful it is only allergies.



Earth day:


We worked on a project today using recycled materials. 
We created a caterpillar parent and its baby, in its home.

We used old dried out big leaves, paper that wraps pears, foam, beads found at yard sales, and glue.
It was a great project. 
This is Max's.


We also read books about helping the Earth and had discussions before and after we read.
Thank you Earth for all you give us.


Dad:


Last I want to celebrate my Dad. 

He turns 75 tomorrow and boy am I lucky he is 
my Dad.

Thank you Dad (Happy Birthday) for giving me the gift of seeking life
and living to the fullest. For teaching me to love art and to live art.
 You really are my living hero.

I love you.






1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday to your dad!!

    This spring, maybe from the winter, it is really powerful. Allergy...

    (I like the art that Max made:))

    ReplyDelete

Your words inspire me to do and be more. So do your thoughts but I just can't read them yet! ;)